Monday, March 23, 2009

How do I transfer my domain name and IP address to another web host?

I was using a web host who lost my entire website.(long story, won%26#039;t explain.) I want to go with someone locally, but according to the TOS from this first host, IP addresses that they registered are their property and I can%26#039;t transfer it. I thought as soon as I registered the domain name, it became mine until it expired. How do I go about transfering my domain name so I can begin building my website again?
How do I transfer my domain name and IP address to another web host?
You can actually change website hosts almost easily. Just sign up with a new one, get the new nameservers from them, and input them into your domain name registration.





Here%26#039;s one potential catch, though: see if the domain name is registered to you. Go to www.iwhois.com, type the domain name in the search bar, then hit Lookup.





Look at the field %26quot;registrant%26quot; and administrative contact. If both fields show that of the host, you%26#039;re in big trouble.





If the registrant and admin contact fields show yours, then you%26#039;re somewhat fine. But your host might not give you the ability to change hosts just like that, especially if you didn%26#039;t read the fine prints prior to signing up.





Bottom line: hope for the best, but expect the worst.

No comments:

Post a Comment