Monday, April 20, 2009

How hard is it to create a web server?

I have a few computers sitting around that do little more than serve music. I create several web sites a month that will only receive a few hits a day. Is it relatively simple and cost effective to create a web hosting server that uses PHP? If so, can you point me to a link that would show me how to set it up.
How hard is it to create a web server?
It is actually pretty easy. As long as you have an old PC lying around (or you can even use your main PC, for low-bandwidth sites), check out WAMP -- http://www.wampserver.com/ -- it stands for Windows Apache MySQL PHP. It comes with Apache web server, MySQL database, and PHP. If you prefer not to use Windows, LAMP (Linux, MySQL, PHP) and MAMP (Mac, MySQL, PHP) are also available. I use WAMP, and it%26#039;s pretty easy, and quick to set up. Good luck!
How hard is it to create a web server?
It%26#039;s simple and very cheap. Your server wouldn%26#039;t need very much to run (an old PC sitting in the closet would work) and once it%26#039;s up, it%26#039;s very minimal to maintain. It would definitely save you money if you plan on running a website(s) for years.





Basically, you would need what an actual webhost would have. A database (MySQL or similar), file storage, active directory (if you plan on implementing users for forums, etc) and possibly a fast internet connection. I run mine myself and it saves me so much money by not paying a webhost every month.





http://www.boutell.com/newfaq/creating/h...


No comments:

Post a Comment